Monday, November 30, 2009

Challenge 16 - Scout Camp, Part 2




SUNDAY

The morning begins with an announcement by our Fearless Leader that the children will make their own scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast. Logistics are puzzling. One Primus, one fry pan, ten kids, five adults

But no, they're not using a fry pan. They're using plastic bags. Kids instructed to break two eggs and toss some bacon into a small snap lock baggie then put it into a large snap lock baggie. I watch in horror as bags are submerged in boiling water. Don't even mention the health issues - we've just used thirty plastic bags to make breakfast! Feel like suggesting we just hand them each a pack of White Ox tobacco and a Zippo. Breakfast of champions! (And felons).

Express my distaste to Fearless Leader then get to work documenting tragedy that is breakfast. Mmmmmm ... short chain polymers on toast. My favourite! Tastes as good as it sounds or your money back!

Camp packed up and I dispense origami gliders for children. Their looks of joy make the last three minutes of my life worthwhile.

Notice one boy's glider keeps nose diving. 'You okay, little buddy?' I ask. 'You can't make planes for crap,' he says. 'Oh yeah?' I say. 'Well, you throw like a girl.' Child looks mortified. I take off before he tells mummy.

Have three girls in the back on the way home. The noise is stupefying. All I can think about is a frosty beverage, hot shower and a quiet lie down. Maybe some therapy. Toss children and bags out of car and vent for half an hour at partner. Nail of sore thumb keeps catching on things so I Super Glue it shut. Wipe face and corner of mouth sticks together.

Partner examines gluey mishap and smiles. 'Missed a bit,' he says. 'Good one,' I say. 'Now shut up and get me a straw.'

Conclusion: Sometimes there are perfectly sound reasons for not having experienced something. (Good judgment comes to mind ... and self preservation ... foresight ... intelligence ...)

2 comments: