Monday, November 23, 2009

Challenge 10 - Origami


What better way to celebrate the loss of a thumb than take up origami?

Every airplane I've ever made has flown about as well as last night's duck (postmortem, obviously, ducks being such excellent fliers when alive). I'm talking mini engineering masterpieces that come with their own instructional video.

Today's Challenge: Build An Origami Plane

Need square bit of paper. Laziness drives me to search the house for a piece rather than cut a rectangle down to size. Find paper. A bit scrunched so I iron it flat. Mostly.

Follow instructions with microscopic precision: Fold here. Press there. Bend that. What's this? Is it a fold or an edge? How am I supposed to get 45 degrees out of 30?

Lack of left thumb galling. Everything takes twice as long as it should.

Origami Plane complete! Go into lounge and throw. Master Three squeals with delight as plane trims and finds level, soaring gracefully around the room before crashing into a wall. Go outside and shout for partner to witness miracle of modern avionics. 'Watch this!' I say. Plane lands on roof. There are no survivors.

Son so happy with Origami Plane that I decide to spread the joy. Go out and buy slab of coloured paper. Shall make 30 planes by Wednesday and take them to Kindy. After introducing the children to the wonderful world of origami (must learn at least two more things - preferably animals) I shall present them with their gifts and bask in their happiness.

***

Have made 20 planes. Hate origami. My thumb is throbbing and my fingers are stained with ink.

If children don't show appropriate level of gratitude I shall make origami sword and fall on it.

Wakizashi seppuku! Hai!

2 comments:

  1. They look just like flat bits of paper with folds. Do the crane, do the crane!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Email me your address and I'll post you one. These suckers can fly! Also did the Rapier, but not recommended for children. It's always funny til someone loses an eye.

    ReplyDelete