Friday, November 27, 2009

Challenge 14 - Balloon Animals







Inspired by Master Three's impending birthday I have decided to be More Amusing. This involves being able to make a giraffe out of balloons, do a magic trick and keep three balls in the air at the same time. There may yet be clown shoes - time will tell.

Bought packet of balloons with instructions. Master Three hangs over my shoulder with the glazed look of a drug fiend. Informs me giraffe is boring and he wants a rabbit.
Then he says he wants lots of rabbits. I tell him mummy need only make two rabbits and nature will take its course. Master Three frowns. 'Lots of rabbits,' he declares.

Instructions say to use medium balloon for body. What's a medium balloon? There are three sizes but two are the same length. Do I use skinny medium or fat medium? Go with fat medium on assumption that skinny medium is in fact small medium. Or something.

Inflate first balloon. Looks remarkably like a perky breast.

Instructions advise blowing small bubble into long balloon and squeezing it toward end. Feel like I am milking a goat. Bubble shoots back to top. Try again.

Catch Master Three sucking on nipple of long medium balloon. Retrieve and attach long balloon to medium balloon. Repeat for front legs. Medium balloon doesn't have a lot of give. Balloon pops. Inflate another and massage to encourage stretchiness.

Ask Master Three to hold balloons. 'I don't wanna hold it!' he says, clamping his eyes shut in anticipation of another pop.

Tie ends, it says. With what? The magic trick I'm going to learn?

Add ears. Oh God. Body maxed out again. Clamp eyes shut and twist. Body holds! I give bunny to Master Three. 'I want a rabbit,' he says. 'It is a rabbit,' I say. 'See his cute little cotton tail?' 'Where's my Monster Truck?' says Master Three and leaves the room.

Show partner bunny. 'Look,' I say. 'I made a rabbit.'
'Glad you told me what it was,' he says.

Scornful laughter drives me on. Giraffe is next.

Draw on face and photograph giraffe in natural habitat to eliminate all doubt. Hmmm ...

Go back inside and poke Master Three with a balloon. 'It's a sword,' I say. 'Gotcha.' Master Three collapses in a fit of giggles. Monster Truck is forgotten. Spend next 1/2 hour chasing eachother around room playing sword fights.

Making fun stuff out of balloons? Nothing to it.

PS: No posts this weekend. Am going camping with Scout group. Shall introduce poppets to improv theatre. Stay tuned!

1 comment: